Friday, November 27, 2009

Time flies when you’re almost tipping over in four-wheeled bicycles, trying new foods that sometimes make your stomach angry, and going to free orchestra concerts complete with star wars characters (we came close to converting to the dark side. Oh wait, we’re already on the dark side). Yay for free concerts! Although I do support supporting musicians, I must say. Anyway, three tests (including one oral test, in front of the entire class), five essays (one of which I was kindly told by my professor didn’t make sense), and six presentations (not including the one on marijuana, my expertise, that I made but didn’t end up presenting) and one coloring activity later, the semester is almost over!
Learning-to-salsa-dance update: Two further attempts attempted, said attempts failed. We had seen a sign that said “Dance classes here!” so we returned on the correct day and time, but it turned out to be an aerobics class in a gym. Good thing I hadn’t worn my high heels. We looked ridiculous enough already, not knowing what we were doing, next to the other experienced people in their exercise gear. The next day, we tried to go to a different class, and when we found it and asked a guy if he was giving the salsa class, we received the response, “yes but it’s too late to sign up.” I will keep looking.

This past month has been a time of travel—as mentioned in a previous post (wow! I finally have previous posts to refer to! That means I'm making progress), for the day of the dead I went with the group to the city of Oaxaca, capital of the state of Oaxaca. We also visited an amazing place there called Hierve el Agua (hierve = boil), which is called that because on top of the spectacular “petrified” waterfalls that are there, water bubbles up from the ground and it appears to be boiling. But it’s not hot, so you can swim in it. Why do I keep typing bowling instead of boiling?

The water fall from above, with Sara unknowingly posing perfectly:


From the side (ch ch ch):


And from down below:
The next weekend I went with Eduardo to Xalapa, the capital of Veracruz, and from there we went to a small pueblo about half an hour to an hour and a half away (depending on who’s driving) to go zip-lining, rappelling, and (checking off something on my life goals list) white water rafting (add it back to my life goals list, so I can do it again)! I had my heroic moment when Eduardo fell out of the boat on a particularly white and choppy rapid, and I bravely threw myself into the river to save him from certain risk of getting wet…oh no I didn’t, I just watched and laughed while the guides hauled him back into the boat. It would have been a futile rescue, because we were already soaked to the bone and life jacket and helmet and clothes.



And then another weekend, my friend Asaki, also from the program, and I ventured to Morelia, Michoacan, a beautiful city with museums, el Mercado de Dulces y Artesanía (Artisan and Candy Market), a fountain of half-naked women, and a Gum Tree.

They didn’t have water shooting out of their mouths though, like I expect of all fountains of posing naked people.


Gum tree. Call me when I get back with your top three choices of color, for samples.

We also took a day trip, 3 hours in a van each way, to see a bunch of little flying creatures with 6 legs. It was well worth it:

All the little black spots, except the ones that make up the trees, are Monarch butterflies that fly down from the US and Canada this time of year to mate. There were so many you could actually hear the wings flapping, it sounded like wind going through the trees.

It’s been get a little bit colder, but still hasn’t snowed yet. I think I’ll be waiting for a long time, since it’s almost December and two days ago I was still able to go swimming in the outdoor pool at the university, the most important part of which is pictured below:


On the bottom right you can almost see someone who stood on the lowest diving platform for 30 minutes and took the exit of shame back down the stairs. Whited out for protection of identity. Will give out a name if tempted with wheat thins and nutella, turkey pot pie with three slits or other creative design cut in the top, or another white water rafting trip.

And how could I forget our Halloween party!? I was a chile en nogada, which is a typical Mexican dish because it’s red, white, and green, the colors of the flag. It’s seasonal, only available around July and August. Luckily I was here then so I got to try them, and even (attempt to) help make them!




Above, my friend Enriqueta and I (with my super-sized fork and knife), and a real chile en nogada for comparison (photo “borrowed” from the internet). The white is the nogada sauce, made from a special type of nut that I don’t remember the name of (this is not the end of a sentence so I can put a preposition here right?), the green is cilantro, and the reds are pomegranate seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment